BFFs. Best Friends Forever, is there really such a thing?
Every so often you should do a quality and maintenance check of those in your inner circle. After evaluation you will probably find 3 or 4 friendships that have run its course. When this occurs you may need to downsize. Choosing to sever ties in any relationship can become quite complicated and emotional, so the sooner you decide that it is time to part ways the better.
Many of us measure our worth based on the number of friends we have. Unfortunately, this is a learned behavior. Think back to your first few days of school. No one wants to be without friends, and I’m not suggesting that.
Fortunately, the reasons to downsize your circle are usually obvious.
- You’ve fallen out of like. Yep. I said it and its okay. It’s perfectly fine not to like a friend anymore. You don’t need a reason why. You simply thought something WAS but it WASN’T. It may be time to downsize.
- He/She is a mooch. Unless you like sharing everything without reciprocation, it may be time to downsize.
- He/She is rude and socially inept. In the beginning you make excuses for their behavior; now you find their nuances and eccentricities a burden. It may be time to downsize.
- Extraordinary high levels of emotional drama. Friends often go through good times and bad times, but when the bad times become all time unless you genuinely care and don’t mind the roller coaster of their life; you may need to downsize.
- You have nothing in common. This isn’t necessary a bad thing, but when you don’t return phone calls, texts and avoid this person like a plague; it’s safe to say this is not your friend. It’s time to downsize.
Downsizing your inner circle is not an easy task and much care should be taken when doing so. Whether you do it or not, it will happen. Friends come in and out of our lives, some hang around a lot longer than others and some are closer than family.
I’m Just Sayin’…(Damn!)
Let’s Be Friends