Growing up I remember doing chores on Saturday while listening to the American Top 40 countdown hosted by Casey Kasem and later by Shadoe Stevens; always making sure that I had my dual cassette player ready to record just in case one of my favorites made the charts.
I was prepared. All I needed to do was simply release the pause button.
Nowadays, I rarely listen to the radio and when I do it’s generally talk, unless my daughter is riding shotgun. So there’s a pretty good chance I know a lot of these. Now I’m wondering if I have any of the CDs or mp3s downloaded on my smartphone and in heavy rotation. I doubt it. I’ve never bought a CD.
Would I workout to this music? Possibly – if the video is playing while I’m at Planet Fitness.
According to the Billboard Hot 100 Songs of 2013*, these are the top 10.
If I have downloaded more than 3 I’ll be shocked. If I’ve downloaded more than half I’ll be utterly ashamed. If I have downloaded all, I will never admit to it!
- THRIFT SHOP – Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Featuring Wanz ~ I know it. Didn’t download it. The music was catchy (the horns) the lyrics were funny (told a story), but overall it was just corny.
- BLURRED LINES – Robin Thicke Featuring T.I. + Pharrell ~ I love Robin Thicke’s voice and I was happy that he finally had a “popular” hit song. Unfortunately the whole Miley Cyrus Sideshow ruined it for me. Downloaded, but I no longer listen to. Currently debating whether I should delete. (1)
- RADIOACTIVE – Imagine Dragons ~ I like the song. Never heard of the group. Creepy video. Downloaded. (2)
- HARLEM SHAKE – Baauer ~ I never heard the song in it’s entirety and I’m not sure that I want to.
- CAN’T HOLD US – Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Featuring Ray Dalton ~ I liked the music, the hook was catchy. It would be nice to hear more of Ray Dalton. Downloaded. (3)
- MIRRORS – Justin Timberlake ~ I generally like J.T., but I did not like this song.
- JUST GIVE ME A REASON – P!nk Featuring Nate Ruess ~ Initially I did not like this song, but I started listening to the lyrics and I changed my mind. It reminds me of the different stages of my own relationship. Downloaded. (4)
- WHEN I WAS YOUR MAN – Bruno Mars ~ So far I’ve like everything this kid has put out. He’s a great entertainer. The Superbowl XLVIII half-time show should be pretty awesome! Downloaded. (5)
- CRUISE – Florida Georgia Line Featuring Nelly ~ Hated. Hated. Hated too many reasons to list.
- ROAR – Katy Perry ~ I love motivation, uplifting music especially music that empowers girls. Downloaded. (6)
That’s not too bad. Nonetheless, I am utterly ashamed, but was highly entertained!
I’m Just Sayin’…(Damn!)
How many of the Hot 100 Songs of 2013 did you download?
How many made the Top 10?
*Year-End most popular songs across all genres, ranked by radio airplay audience impressions as measured by Nielsen BDS, sales data as compiled by Nielsen SoundScan and streaming activity data provided by online music sources.